When God Takes Your Hand (Part II)

Photo by: Anisur Rahman


In Part I of this blog post, I  shared with you an encounter that left me feeling curious and uneasy.  Now, I would like to share the revelations that were shown to me afterward.


Revelation Number 1: Unfamiliar situations remove us from our comfortable safe haven.

In today’s society, we love the ability to manufacture our present circumstances, as well as future circumstances. The product we desire to produce has to be the most comfortable, creating a relaxing and easy fit into our daily lives.  We seek to create an atmosphere that is founded on the freedom to act as we please, with the least resistance possible.

However, that freedom comes with a cost.  It costs us our ability to be malleable in all circumstances.  We are essentially building a castle of contentment.  This fortress, however, shields us from developing a spirit that embraces fear at first glance. We not only use this fortress to shield us from embracing the uncomfortable. We use it to shield us from receiving a resounding breath of fresh air in areas of our life that truly need it.

Revelation Number 2: Walking in faith requires us to fully acknowledge that God is infinite.

The second revelation showed me that I defined my role in this young lady’s journey far beyond the extent necessary for this situation. I questioned my ability to act and react with respect to her ability to see.  However, I failed to see that her vision, although impaired, as far better in that moment than mine.  The task at hand for me was simply to push the button for the floor requested.  However, my anxiety level rose, to the somehow alert me that more was needed.  Why did I feel that I somehow needed to perform in this moment any differently than I would act if she could fully see me?

My mind failed to grasp the fact that this young lady lives with a visual impairment on a regular basis.  I don’t. However, in that moment I chose to carry a weight of nervousness that was unwarranted. 

I wrestled with many questions. Why did I become so uncomfortable? What was God saying to me? What should I learn from this small moment in time?

This situation brought me into foreign territory and revealed to me that I am blessed beyond measure.  If God protects and cares for her each and every day, why do I question His ability to do the same for me?  I am aware that the crux of what I experienced was only a glimpse of her entire life. However, if I had problems sitting in that tiny moment with her,  what does this say about me?  I now find myself somewhat embarrassed in my admission. I have lacked in my vision to trust God. I have times where I only see Him from my vantage point, failing to remember that He is infinite. 

She appeared quite comfortable in her own skin. However, was I comfortable in my own? Was my lack of vision hindering my walk in territories of the unknown? Were my fear and worry shading my ability to see that God had given me numerous blessings? Yet I still live in moments of angst.


“When God Takes My Hand"
 I have to say that God is truly magnificent in His ability to garner my attention for a brief moment.  A moment that captures me and says “Yes, Precious, I am still here. Let’s look at this situation for a minute or two.”  He takes my hand and journeys with me along the way.  I pray each day that God would show me something “new, and fresh, and different” and He does.  It is in those moments that you have to stop and ponder what God is saying to you, and what He wants you to pull from a simple encounter. 

He takes the time to capture our attention, and it is breathtaking when He does that. It is at that time, in a brief moment, where I am changed in how I think, and what I may be feeling. It is also at that precise moment that I truly want more of God.


Comments

Popular Posts