What do you do when life gets confusing?


Photo by: Daniele Levis Pelusi

Have you ever had a time in your life where you were really confused? You didn’t know what to do and where to turn for answers.

I am at that place in my life right now. Super confused. I don’t quite understand why things are happening the way that they are. I am encountering many different problems at the same time. Overwhelming, to say the least.

But life often works that way, doesn’t it?

We often get the financial problem, along with the health problem. And let’s not forget the relationship problem, as well. It seems that these problems all decide to visit us at the same time.

So in my quest to make sense of it all, I turned to Psalm 116. Psalm 116 provides a glimpse of turmoil faced in the life of the psalmist.
  

Verse 3 (NIV) says:

The cords of death entangled me,
the anguish of the grave came over me;
I was overcome by distress and sorrow.

I can certainly identify with the feelings shared in these verses.  As I stand in the midst of my situation, I am overcome by distressing feelings, feelings that I can't make sense of.


As I continued to read, I found the key to facing this turmoil in verse 10 (NIV):

I trusted in the Lord,
When I said, I am greatly afflicted.


Trust. Yes, trust is the key.


Will I trust Him when there are doubts lingering in my mind?

Will I trust Him in my tears of frustration?

Will I trust Him when the problems are stacking up, and I feel like I am drowning?


I took a moment and paused, asking myself those critical questions.  If I am to face these problems head-on, I must ask myself, "Will I trust Him?".


Verse 8 (NIV) answers my questions and says:

For you Lord, have delivered me from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling.


So, in the midst of this unsavory place, I must declare,


I trust You God completely.

Not my situation.
Not my doubts.


But I trust You God completely.


Not my feelings.
Not my pain.


I trust You God completely.


So, this week, I must dig deep and meditate on these verses... choosing not to meditate on my problems. 


I must declare my trust in God in spite of my confusion.


Photo by: Ken Treloar

Thoughts...

When you have felt confused in life, what has helped you get through it all?  Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.



Comments

Popular Posts