SoulMate: Every Woman's Journey to Finding True Love





The reality of one's singleness can be felt in the documentary, SoulMate: Every Woman's Journey to Finding True Loveby Andrea Wiley.  SoulMate is a 2004 film that looks through the lens of a single, Christian woman, after the age of 30. The film features Pastor Donald Bell, Rev Dr. Cynthia Hale, Michelle McKinney Hammond, Sherri Shepherd, and Bishop Kenneth Ulmer.

SoulMate opens with the following statistic:
42.3% of all African American women have never been married. (U.S. Census)

Although the year is not specified, the 2005 statistic from the U.S. Census reports that  42.5% of African American females,  15 years and older, have never been married.  The 2015 statistic, from the U.S. Census, reports that  48.4% of African American females, 15 years and older, have never been married.  Both of those statistics are quite an eye opener for anyone falling in the categories described.  

Falling into those categories myself, I can not help but ponder about my future. Over a decade later, I can, even more, relate to the participants' stories. I grappled with my faith as I viewed parallel themes in lives of women I had never met.  Although SoulMate is 13 years old,  I identified with the core topics discussed, including: loneliness, dating, the biological clock, the question of intimacy as a Christian, etc.. The realities of singleness and age are factors that leave some of the participants in tears, as they are forced to view their lives differently. 

Food for Thought

I recommend that you watch SoulMate and discover where your story fits into the lives of these women. Personally, I am taking some time to view it again as I want to do a follow-up blog.  Stay tuned for some thought provoking questions and discussion in the upcoming blog.   I want to shed some light on topics that many times, we overlook, as Christian singles.

For now, I am interested in your feedback on the film.  Which topic(s) resonated with you the most? Which participant's story could you most identify with?

Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

Popular Posts